Monday, August 25, 2008

The first day of school




It is here. It is really, really here. And for the first time, I am truly and undeniably sad that all my beloved boys have left me for school....ALL DAY LONG!!! I have so grown to love being a mom. I stink at it sometimes. But my Heavenly Father loves me and he loves these boys (and girls) and he knows that I am trying. Oh goodness am I trying!!!!! Somedays I still feel overwhelmed. overworked. overtired. overDONE! But this summer taught me a lot about patience and about loving the moment and not wanting it to hurry on by to get to the next one. This summer had some big challenges for me. At times I became quite convinced that the noise and chaos would simply cause me to spontaneously combust. I wasn't sure I could handle hearing "Mom......can I????" or "Mom.....I need (fill in the blank)" or just a child hollering mom simply to find out where I was at every moment. But in those moments of sheer exhaustion, frustration, irritation and exasperation I discovered that this band of brothers (to borrow this sweet friends' phrase) is an amazing gift and blessing in my life and is what I always hoped for and wished for. Their antics, their humor, their messes, their multitude of friends running around here. They all add a richness and love to my life. I will miss them. I will miss hanging out with them. Each moment of the day. It is just too quiet around here.

9 comments:

living4him5 said...

I missed you Anna!!! What a sweet post today and you are a great mom!
I can't believe it time for school again, boy time flies!

Enjoy your time with the girls, before you know it they'll be heading to school too!

Hugs,
Amy

Mindy said...

I was sad to see school start again too. I do love to hear how the kids are growing and what they are doing because I know I can offer that at home.
It sounds like you learned valuable lessons this summer. I like that you can admit to short comings and faults but that you get up and brush yourself off and keep going. And you remember how much God loves you...thats easy to forget for me.

Mindy said...

I meant a big fat CANT offer that at home

Erin said...

Wow, Anna... we have so much in common! (except my garage is really appallingly messy!) Your love for your sons is so familiar to me. They are really adorable with their spiffy hair. They will love reading your words someday. You are a great Mother to them. (and thanks for the compliment)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe all the boys are in school all day!! It was so good to talk to you, we'll see you soon!!
Aunt Melissa

Sheri said...

Amen, sister! You've put into words what I often feel. I'm so thankful that my kids don't go back to school until next week. Even though it's crazy, I love having them around!

OK, your garage is just way too spotless!!

Denise said...

Yes, it is quiet around here too...what a sweet post~

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Anna!! What a wonderful band of boys and girly girls you have. My have they grown! I have thoroughly enjoyed catching up with you and the family. Your writing is so inspirational to me. It's refreshing and reassuring to know I'm not the only mommy who is NOT perfect!! You've made me laugh and cry and give me hope. THANK YOU GIRLY!! I sure miss you all to pieces!! Happy early 3 year Forever Family Day!!
Hugs,
June & Lilli

Amie said...

What a sweet post. And Amen to everything you said. :)

I LOVE the first day of school hair! too COOL!

:)
Amie