Thursday, December 4, 2008

A Wiser One

One of my favorite things to do after the Christmas decorations are all put up, is to be sure the house is extra clean, turn off all the lights (save the ones from the decorations), make sure some yummy smelling goodness is floating through the house and just feel peace. Almost as if I am trying to summon it during the chaos that is usually bouncing around in my head. I love to drink in the quieter parts of the season. To be still.....the wonder what the Silent Night might have been like. To be grateful that I am Home for the Holidays and truly marvel at that O Holy Night.

One of my favorite Christmas songs is called Breath of Heaven by Amy Grant. To those of you unfamiliar with the lyrics they read like this:

I have traveled many moonless nights,
Cold and weary with a babe inside,
And i wonder what i've done
Holy father you have come,
And chosen me now to carry your son.

I am waiting in a silent prayer.
I am frightened by the load i bear.
In a world as cold as stone,
Must i walk this path alone?
Be with me now.
Be with me now.

Breath of heaven,
Hold me together,
Be forever near me,
Breath of heaven.

Breath of heaven,
Lighten my darkness,
Pour over me your holiness,
For you are holy.
Breath of heaven.

Do you wonder as you watch my face,
If a wiser one should have had my place,
But i offer all i am
For the mercy of your plan.
Help me be strong.
Help me be.
Help me.

Breath of heaven,
Hold me together,
Be forever near me,
Breath of heaven.

Breath of heaven,
Lighten my darkness,
Pour over me your holiness,
For you are holy.

Breath of heaven,
Hold me together,
Be forever near me,
Breath of heaven.

Breath of heaven,
Lighten my darkness,
Pour over me your holiness,
For you are holy.

Breath of heaven.
Breath of heaven.
Breath of heaven.

I particularly love the verse that I highlighted in red. I think of Mary and the tremendous task before her. How inadequate, how ill-equipped she must have felt. But she offered all she had. I am inspired by her courage and her commitment to do what God asked. Though I in no way compare myself to Mary......I have a burning desire (that gets loaded down with so.much.junk.) to do what my Father in Heaven wants. To offer all that I am. For the mercy of His plan. Often when I am befuddled by how best to serve my family, how best to love them, I hear the phrase from that song (even when it is not Christmas). Help me be strong. Help me be. Help me.

And He always does. He always does when I allow Him to.





I know the pictures are kind of fuzzy. I am still learning on how to use no flash in the presence of lots of lights. It confuses me. But I hope you can see some of the peace that prevailed in our home that night. I wish it prevailed every night. (wink)

16 comments:

Jennifer O'Cain said...

That is my favorite Christmas song too. I have been known to listen to it over and over, because it brings me peace. Hope your family has a "peaceful" Christmas. Jennifer

Stefanie said...

Beautiful! It looks like a house FILLED with peace... and JOY :)
I love those times myself, when I can get them!

Patricia said...

BEAUTIFUL post & gorgeous decorating!! I especially loved seeing all those stockings hanging on the fireplace!!

I totally agree with you on those quiet moments too...I just FEEL His presence in those moments! :)

Barbie said...

Love the Christmas beauty that is filling your home and your heart. It truly is so important to sit and be quiet and listen to the gift He gave us in His son. My favorite son is Mary Did You Know. Have you heard that one?

Barbie said...

Ok. I meant to say favorite song not favorite son. ha ha

living4him5 said...

Just beautiful, all of it! Your home, the lyrics, all of it.

At night, when the kids are in bed, I turn just the Christmas lights on and do my bible study. It is so peaceful and calm. I just love it.

Love ya girl!
Amy

Erin said...

Magical. And peaceful! (You DO have lots of stockings! Lucky you)

Jill said...

So pretty!! And hmmmm..why does that song sound so familiar? :-)

I do have to laugh at one part of your post. You talked about the Chaos in your head then in the next sentence you said..." I like to drink in the quieter parts of the evenings" ...after reading it a few times I understood what you meant, but it made me laugh...

Jolyn Buhrley said...

Anna, You are such a beautiful writer!! I also LOVED your Thanksgiving post, you are very inspiring!(even if you do "drink" in the evenings to quiet the Chaos. I mean, who am I to judge?)Thank you for sharing your thoughts. love you!

lissa said...

I LOVE the lights in your house. How peaceful they are. Enjoy the holidays!!

living4him5 said...

Hey Anna,

Linzhi is potty trained except at night she's still in a pull-up. I dreaded potty training with her but is went pretty easy (Thank God). We still have accidents from time to time but overall, I can say she's potty trained!!

Hugs and love,
Amy

3 Peanuts said...

That s a beautiful song and one of my favorites too. I love how beautiful and peaceful your home looks n these photos...and I too cannot shoot without flash indoors BUT I think the "fuzziness" adds to the tranquil quality of them anyway!

Blessings,
Kim

Mom to my China Posse said...

Beautiful indeed! Maybe you should come and give my decorations a spruce up they look pretty pitiful up to yours! Love ya, kathy

Carol said...

Reading the lyrics of that song made me cry. We are all just trying to do our best and that verse captures those feelings beautifully.

Also, your home looks magnificent!!! But...judging by the number of stocking hung by your fireplace, I imagine the peace didn't last too long...:) :) :)

Love you and all of your chaos (I mean kids).

Empress' Mom said...

Those lyrics are absolutely beautiful and so refreshing this time of year. Your posts are often so insightful. Reading them makes me appreciate you and your family even more! What a blessing you all are to me! I hope you have a joyous holiday with your friends and family. I can't wait to see pictures!

Hugs,
June & Lilli

Sheri said...

That's one of my favorite Christmas songs, too! I never focused on the part that you highlighted, and it's really the best part. Thanks for sharing that. Your house looks gorgeous!