It's Thursday. I said I would be back on Monday. Apparently that wasn't quite accurate. But I am back! I am feeling so much more calm. So much more joyful. So much more hopeful. I feel so.much.more!!
This is one of our beautiful trees in our front yard. I came home to it in FULL bloom. Isn't it such a lovely tree! It breathes of hope and beauty. When the blooms fall after a few weeks then we are left with gorgeous greenery and wonderful shade. I think that Heavenly Father gave us trees to help remind us that beauty comes in stages and that even a dormant winter tree is just waiting to spring into life and bless us with it's beauty.
Women's Conference was WONDERFUL. It seemed that each class I attended was exactly what I needed to hear. I felt promptings come to my mind and took careful note to write them down. I went to classes on Raising Sons, Unity in marriage, Teaching virtue and chastity to children....just an absolute smorgasbord of inspiring words. The theme of the conference was Awake, Arise and Come Unto Christ. One of the women who spoke said (she has a great sense of humor), "Sisters, the alarm clock is ringing. It's time to get up!!" I travelled with my dear friend Carol and her sweet sister Joanne and fabulous sister-in-law Stacey. Carol's back had been really bad for a while before the conference and we were worried the trip wouldn't happen. But Carol was blessed with healing and not only attended but we all had a great time. We met up with more sisters and Charlotte (Carol's mom) and Carol's grandparents. I felt so loved and so included. I was even teased just like I was a member of the family. Thank you to the Knudsen's for helping to make my conference experience that much grander.
Could she be any more beautiful? (she's even prettier on the inside!!)
The conference crew enjoying dinner out
Carol and all her sisters (minus a very pregnant Brenda that we all missed) with Charlotte (mom) and Tutu (grandma)
Carol and Anna enjoying a class on raising our fantastic boys!
When I returned home Saturday after much hugging and kissing from my kids and Brian, Brian told me that Sarah had had a bit of a rough day that day and explained how she had fallen and then cried inconsolably for 20 minutes or so. He had checked her wrist, her elbow, her leg, everywhere he could think of and saw nothing. Assuming she was just completely tired and missing her mama (since she then crashed to sleep on his shoulder) her laid her down. During her sleep time is when I arrived home. Anxious to see her and give her a hug I roused her from sleep. It took her a few minutes to wake all the way up but I was rewarded with the most endearing smile and whisper of "mama". I reached under her arms to pick her up and as I picked her up she screamed. I cradled her into me but the crying continued. I sat down with her on the couch and did my own 'hands on' exam. Inspired to feel around her neck, I discovered the source of the problem. Plain as day there was a knot on her left collarbone. And she did NOT like me to touch it. We whisked her off to the doctor where an Xray confirmed that her collarbone was indeed broken. My poor sweet little girl. Brian felt awful. But all turned out well. Not much you can do for a broken collarbone. The sling they gave us was the smallest they make for pediatrics and Sarah tolerated that for the rest of the doctor stay and then for roughly three minutes after that. We gathered all the kids together and reminded them of the way we had to lift Sarah after her heart surgery and told them we had to do that again for a few weeks. For the most part, she has self limited the function of her left arm. Most of the time you forget it's broken. I think sometimes she forgets it's broken. Until she gets picked up (because we have forgotten) or when she is playing and bumps it wrong. Then she remembers and so do we. She has only required a few doses of ibuprofen to help with the pain. That daughter of ours is one tough cookie. Still I feel bad too. Yesterday in the backyard she took a tumble by the rock and scraped the bridge of her nose and created a small cut on her nose. Bummer huh???
Sister Cuteness! This is post collarbone breakage but pre-face scrape.
A dress up hat on Mandi and a poodle purse....really, what else is there in life??
Other news to report:
Carol and her family found out a few days ago that they were awarded permanent custody of their foster son, Phillip and can now proceed with his legal adoption. What a blessing from God that this little boy found his way to his forever family. And he is the cutest thing ever!
See what I mean????
Exercise is still going good. Though I have missed some days here and there. I actually still feel more sluggish than when I started a few months back but, the physical exertion really does help with my mindset.
My sister-in-law Jill found out she is expecting a baby boy. She has three girls (the youngest is five(will be in a few weeks anyhow) so this was especially tender and exciting news for their family. Congratulations Mike and Jill!
Brian was asked to be the leader of the 12-13 year old young men in our church. This includes our oldest son Eric. Poor kid, he has his mama teaching Sunday School and his dad doing the rest :-)
Eric completed his middle school basketball season. Undefeated! OK, they only played four official games but still....I think that's pretty fun!
Jake and Jon signed up for Optimist Football. Jon was no surprise. He talks about football all the time and has already played two years of flag football. This is his first year in pads. Now, Jake, that's a different story. He has long been a self-proclaimed 'non-fan' of football so, when he expressed his desire to play a few months back, we made him sit on it, think on it, chew over what the expectations would be and then really think about it. He persisted in his desire to play (Brian and I strived to let it be his decision, our role in that process was just to help him understand and decide for himself...that way, whatever happens he can stand tall that he did it because he chose to) and so we signed him up! He seems to be really looking forward to it. I am glad he is willing to stretch outside of his 'norm'. He starts out a little behind since most kids his age who play have been playing for a few years but, I think his brothers will be right there to help him.
I look forward to Mother's Day. It is such a wonderful gift and blessing to be a mother. Even on those days. With a sense of humor and a heaping amount of faith and trust in God's design for my life, I will savor each day that I am given as a mother.
Thursday, May 8, 2008
And now back to our regularly scheduled programming
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












8 comments:
SO GLAD TO SEE YOU BACK!!! Missed your posts!
:-)
-Nicole
Poor Sarah!!! I think that baby has been through quite enough for one life time! I am SO sorry about the crazy Saturday. I seriously got interrupted everytime I tried to contact you! I did't mean to flake out! It sounds like I missed out big time. I wish I could have made it.
I have to second Nicole: SO GLAD YOU'RE BACK! Sounds like the conference was the perfect prescription :)
Your sweet Sarah... I am so sorry to hear she broke her collarbone! She's one tough cookie, I'd be bawling like a baby non-stop!
Hope your Mother's Day is everything you want it to be! You certainly deserve it, you're an awesome mom :)
So glad you're back! Sounds like you had a fabulous time!! Poor Sarah, I broke my collarbone as a child, not fun!! I feel her pain.
Have a wonderful Mother's day!!
~Amy
Glad you're back and feeling recharged!!
I am so glad that you came with us. You truly fit in just like one of my sisters and I was glad that you were willing to tolerate all the little quirks that make up my family. (A curtain for a door?) I love you forever.
Anna!! Soooo glad to see you back! I missed you! :)
I am sooo sorry about sweet Sarah...poor little thing, but yes indeed, our girls are tough!! My prayers are with her for a speedy recovery! I got tears in my eyes when you wrote about rousing her & she whispered, "mama"...sooo precious!!
I hope you have a FABULOUS Mother's Day!! You are one inspiring mom for sure! :)
HUGS to you!
A wish from the heart, a whole lotta love and hugz
HAPPY Mother's Day !
Post a Comment