Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Oh the hurt!

Being a teenager is so hard. How I remember being in junior high (middle school). One minute you feel on top of the world. The next minute you feel like you got punched in the gut and you can't seem to catch your breath. The insecurities, the fears, the friends, the growth.....all seem alien to you somehow and yet, strangely familiar. My oldest son is having such a hard time. Please, please pray for him. If you see him, say hello and give him a smile. He is trying so hard and growing up is so very difficult to do sometimes. His dad and I love him so very much. His younger brothers and sisters idolize him. He is such a wonderful kid, with so many talents. Pray that He, the only One who can, will show him what his worth is.



This is Eric with his sisters and his cousin, Allison.

13 comments:

Patricia said...

Look at that handsome boy!! I teach middle school & it IS a tough age...but, also the BEST age, I think...so much going on! My prayers are with Eric that he remains true to himself during this time...with the loving family that he is surrounded with, I'm sure he will get through it beautifully! :)
Hang in there!!

Carol said...

I LOVE YOU ERIC!!!

living4him5 said...

Hi Anna,

I know what you're going through as a mother and Trevor can certainly relate to what Eric is going through. We will lift him in our prayers...I wish we lived closer, Trevor is a great mentor. He's in the mentor program at church. The teenage years are tough. Eric is blessed with wonderful parents that love and support him. You'll see him through!!

Hugs,
Amy

Mom M. said...

Anna,
Oh, how I remember "hurting" with every child...and I still do, only now it is multiplyed almost 15 times. Tell Eric he doesn't have to be the "best" in everything because he is the "best" in my eyes (no matter what) and also in his Earthly Father and his Heavenly Father. I love and respect him so much...he is the greatest example to his family, friends, and ME. Give him a BIG Hug (even though he may not like it, I need it too.)
Love, Grandma Madsen

Barbie said...

Oh, I know all too well how difficult these years are on our kids. I will be praying for Eric. He is an exceptional young man with so much to give. What a blessing his family is to him. The love and reassurance you give your children is such a gift.

Love you all!!

Erin said...

Having four sons, I totally and completely understand the pressure that they feel. Being the biggest brother can be especially tough. Hey Eric, like I tell my boys, you don't have to "do your best" at everything! Nobody, even adults, does their best at everything. Sometimes, we just have to get something done, and move on. Also, my boys have gotten much further in life being kind, than being cool. Girls really do dig nice boys, trust me on that one!

Jill said...

Hi Anna. My heart and eyes welled up when I read your post. I love Eric to death and I feel like I want to come and beat up anyone who would belittle him or make him feel like less than he is! He is so sweet, thoughtful and kind. Let him know that his family in Utah loves him and we will pray for him. It's so hard for us as parents. I still look in my children's eyes and see them as my precious babies...I don't look forward to the heart break that comes with growing up.

Mom said...

The thought of Eric being upset makes my heart hurt...I think that I have tried to forget most of those middle school years. Other kids can be so cruel. I don't know the extent of the issue, but I know that Eric is special and the Lord knows him very well. On those days when life is hard, prayer is the only solution. Tell him that we love him and I wish that I was close enough to give him a squeeze. :-)

I'm sorry that I cannot do more!

Denise said...

We are having some of our own teenager struggles here as well. I also remember how hard those years were, so I hate to see my son going through it. I will be praying for your son too~

Desiree' said...

I hear you,we are also struggling with our 12 year old. It is so hard and sometimes you just have to let go and let Him guide their steps. So hard to do....

Anonymous said...

Hang in there...I know this time of life can be rough. We love Eric - can't wait to see you!
Aunt Melissa

Mindy said...

I was listening to a "mormon mom podcast" and they were talking about a daughter who hit puberty and grew quickly and had a hard time adjusting with friends as a teenager. The mom said that whenever she tried to reassure her that the daughter would disregard her becuase she was just her mom and had to think and say those things. However she had read somewhere and felt impressed by the spirit to say things about the daughter (while the daughter was nearby) to other people. Mainly her husband but also to other friends and family. She said she would just comment on all the positive stuff and how grown up she was becoming. For some reason that worked a lot better and they began to see a change in their daughters self esteem. It took a concisous effort they said but it really worked. Plus its not lying or anything cause they really did feel and see great things in their daughter...its just the way they presented it to her made a big difference. Good luck.

Amie said...

oh the teenage years are so tough.. you could not pay me to go back and live them, even if i could take with me what I know now.. grrrr...

Oh this post breaks my heart... I will be praying hard.. makes me wish I lived close, even though I don't know you,lol, I would make sure we got a chance to meet that sweet little soul and we would just happen to run into him all the time and say hello.. to far?lol. We will definitly be praying for him that he will know just how precious and special he is..

hugs!
:)
Amie