Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Can you say OUCH!??!

Ok, so I thought of a lot of other things to say too when this happened. That's my knee. Yep, scraped, scarred, and infected.

I am such a goober.

We were hiking with some friends on our date on Saturday night. It is a local spot that is really popular. The end of the hike had a spot that, apparently, lots of (I am assuming) kids actually slide down or some ding-dongs ride their bikes down. You can see the spot from where you start.



Not a great picture since it was obviously taken in winter and the trees are GORGEOUS and lush now but, you can distinctly see the "slide" to which I am referring.

Back to the story that I am taking W-A-Y too long to tell. I carried a small bag with me on the entire hike. Determined to use it to slide down the hill as my reward. Kids go down on their bums....uh, no thanks....not without something between me and a certain gargantuan hole in the seat of my pants.

The bag idea didn't work.

Genius me decided to 'surf' down.

That didn't work either.

Once I started I toppled over and this is the beautiful result. To top matters off, I could feel the skin being stripped from my knee during my fall so I rotated myself to get my knee out from under me. Picture me now headed down upside down on my back. Inverted, sliding down a hill in front of my husband and two friends.

Pure grace.

My girlfriend was concerned with my welfare. So was my husband, sort of. I finally got myself to stop and to be honest, even I was giggling a little bit. My friends husband was definitely giggling. No, pretty sure he was laughing.
I had a pound of dirt down my skivvies now and I hadn't even looked at my knee yet. When I finally did, I didn't think it looked too bad. It was completely white. No blood had even appeared yet. That's what happens when you shred the skin off. There was a small rock embedded in it. Cool huh?





Genius me didn't wash it properly that night. (Did I mention I am a nurse...yeah, I know....genius!!)

It got infected. It HURTS!! In vast disproportion to what it looks like. I was certain yesterday that nothing had ever in my life hurt so bad. Mini melt down. Again, in vast disproportion to what the wound looks like. I finally did a proper cleaning of it since it was now yellow and getting a red ring around it. (hmm, did I mention I should have know MUCH better??) Another friend heard my whining and helped out. It feels better now.

Still hurts.

Genius huh?

12 comments:

living4him5 said...

Anna, I'm sorry but I', cracking up! That story is just too cute! I have to admit, I would have tried the same thing...I guess we still think we're kids, right?? Age is just a number, right?? I am sorry you're hurting but what's life without an adventure...YOU GO GIRL!

Hugs,
Amy

Patricia said...

Oh Anna!!!! You poor thing!!!! Ouch ouch ouch!!! Glad it's feeling better now, though.

Despite that big ol' boo-boo, you did tell that story very well! ;)
Feel better, girl!

Mom M. said...

This gave me my "laugh" of the day....mainly because it sounds like something I would do. I looked at it while eating breakfast and have to admit, I gagged at the pix. I have Dad's walker here and crutches, if you need them :-) Hey, looking forward to seeing you all soon, in the meantime, be careful..give kids hugs and kisses. luv ya!

Jill said...

oooo! My stomache is turning right now...wait that's the baby..lol. I just LOVE it when I BIFF it in front of my friends! I hope you heal quickly. Pain!!!

Mom said...

ummm, I must say that is exactly something I would do! Are you sure that we aren't blood sisters?

:-)

PS: Have you read THE HOST?

Barbie said...

Ouch is right! I am sorry but I would have giggled too. I can't help it. You sure sounded chipper when you drove by our house on your way home. I would have never known! You are tough girl!!

Carol said...

I think this one beats the time you biffed it while running on my treadmill and left your skin on the belt. OUCH! Try not to fault Brian or your friends too much for laughing. If I remember correctly, I laughed pretty hard when you fell that time too. I guess none of us are as compassionate as we hope to be.
Hope it feels better soon.
Love you.

Anonymous said...

Anna, sorry about the wound. I think your description of "genius" is quite appropriate. Hang in there - owies are cool! (Kindergarten, remember?) See you soon.
Aunt Melissa

Snowflowers Mum said...

ouch! that is a nasty one.

Snowflowers Mum said...

ouch! that is a nasty one.

Denise said...

My hubby has been known to laugh at me too when I have fallen (my nickname was "Grace" growing up).

Hope it has healed and you will be hiking real soon~

Amie said...

sorry it got infected, and about the dirt in your skivvies, etc.. but this jsut shows me how stinkin' cool you are.. Most fun and coolest mom eveh! I only wish I could have been that cool.. If I would have had the guts to try it, and survived the "trip" you took, my kids would have been telling that story for years to their friends.. would have earned me some serious cool points!!

shout-out to you for givin' it a go!

:)
Amie
btw- thanks for the sweet comment on my blog..(blush)