What do you get when you start with bunches of boxes of these?:
And then mix in lots of time blanching, cutting, extra light syrup making, water bath processing, dear friend (and for the second round, husband) helping, washing, drying and then A-D-M-I-R-I-N-G............
The first batches are out and cooled off....don't you love the beautiful (natural) blush to the water from the peaches. These peaches were huge, sweet, and a beautiful color. I'm not a nature nut but, this was God's harvest captured in it's finest state.
Carol. Isn't she so cute? We stood side by side for hours. And had fun doing it.
The results (minus Carol's bounty) of a productive, long, exhausting, satisfying day of work. Tomatoes and peaches. Pears and grape juice are up next(pears at the end of the week and grape juice doesn't happen until October)
Oh boy did I start out yesterday tired. fatigued. exhausted... with loads of fruit and tomatoes calling out to be saved from certain ruin. Sarah had been up for a while the night before and Brian and I are up with the kids to make breakfasts and such by 6:30am. I called Carol as she was on her way over to my house and declared that if some caffeine was not delivered to me in the form of one very large Diet Pepsi (on ice, of course) there would be no such project taking place. In fact, I think I said it was possible that someone "might get hurt" :-)
We had some mishaps along the way. Broken jars, spilling boiling water (no one did get hurt, thankfully), peaches forgotten, and other such things that happen just to make sure you fully appreciate the bounty of your labors. It was a good day!!!!
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Mission Accomplished.....well, almost
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












15 comments:
That is a "thing of beauty"... such beautiful fruit... like jewlery for your kitchen. I myself would be tempted to tell the children it was "display food". Honestly! I bet you slept like a baby last night! You might jus start a canning revolution... do you think Sarah Palin is a canner? ;)
Yum!! Looks like all of your hard but fun work paid off!
Oh man...I am the one that caused all of those 'mishaps'. Oh well, the peaches do look gorgeous and I was glad that we could do them together. Love you.
way to go Anna ! It makes me proud to see the results of your efforts and you should certainly be proud, also. I am actualy doing some canning this week..haven't done it much since I moved to Draper and you guys scattered.
Wow, such beauty! I imagine it felt GREAT to stand back and admire all your hard work... it will be even nicer when you can EAT it :)
Way to go, pioneer woman!
Anna is looks like you and Carol did a fantasic job! I think they look gorgeous too!
Thanks for your sweet comment, I wish we lived closer too!! I know our girls would have a great time together and I can just tell you would be an awesome girlfried to share life with. I'm just blessed to have the opportunity to know you even if it's virtually!
Hugs,
Amy
Impressive! Ironically enough, I was eating a fresh peach while reading your blog. There seriously is nothing better on earth! I need to get into some canning some day... It might help if we moved to Boise and we could be neighbors. Any houses for sale??
Excellent! You were my inspiration for learning to bottle fruit...next will be grape juice (although that might have to be next year). Can't wait to see you all!
Aunt Melissa
I'm pretty sure you just got a ticket into the celestial kingdom. Right now I get large shipments of canned goods from Kyles folks from Idaho. We love the green beans the best.
Fantastic blog, I have 3 boys and a princess from China, who looks a bit like your youngest I think.
Well done you, how on earth do you find time to make peaches in jars?
Pass on the wisdom please :-)
God Blessings to you
Love Jules
What fun! I have never canned anything, but I imagine it would be loads of fun with a friend! Good for you!
Anna, just read Susannah's story and then tried to sing Happy Birthday to Sam..so if I sound choked up, that is why. What remarkable people we have in this world...btw..I canned 21 qts. of peaches today..have 5 more boxes, but Melissa & Rich are doing some more...then I have pears. I haven't canned sinced moving to Draper.
OK...so here's the plan...(I just read your comment)...you guys come to NYC, Mandi & Kiara can play together while you teach this city girl how to make that delicious looking peach jam!! :)
Have a great weekend & we really do have to meet someday!!
Oh it sounds like you guys had so much fun! I wish I were there!!! I think I need to learn how to do this. Maybe y'all can road trip this way and give me a tutorial... I will have a portable diet Pepsi fountain dispenser waiting!!
Good for you guys! You should feel proud!
:)
Amie
You are truly an inspiration. After seeing the "fruits" of your labors, Rich and Mom started a new batch of peaches. At the end of the day, we added 61 quarts to our food storage!! Yea. That means we're ready for Grape juice...? Help.
Aunt Melissa
Post a Comment