I remember that day so clearly. There was so much chaos in the room in Nanchang. It was so very different from our Gotcha Forever Family Day with your sister that your dad and I (along with your brother and cousin) didn't know what to expect. With so many people in the room and so many little ones meeting their families at last, we didn't know where to look. We watched in awe as families came together right before our eyes. We wondered where you were. We were so anxious to finally meet you and have you in our arms. We had been told earlier in the day that you were not doing that well. That you were very sick. We were worried but knew that Heavenly Father clearly had a plan for all of us and we clung to the hope that that knowledge gave to us. And then you came. Sweet little girl, you took my breath away. You were here, you were within my grasp. Just five months had passed since we first saw your face and now you were before me. I registered in my mind just how blue you looked, how very, very tiny you looked. My heart only registered my intense love for you. I wanted to run over to the nanny and rip you out of her arms. But, as requested, I waited. And waited. I must have waited all of five minutes!!!! I couldn't take it anymore and I moved in to hold you in my arms. Your nanny said something to you and then you began to cry. You were not all together impressed with the reality of what was happening. You grieved. You were frightened. I held you and whispered to you that it was alright, we loved you and don't cry, sweet baby. All things our sweet guide Evelyn had taught me to say in Chinese. Poor Evelyn, I grilled her on exact pronunciation. I wanted you to hear something from me in the only language you had ever known. And that was all I had.
The days passed in China and you grew stronger. Inch by inch, step by step. At first you could hardly hold yourself up on your legs, days later you were attempting to walk with your dads hands placed in yours. Your appetite swelled along with our hearts. To see your eyes grow large at the variety of food placed in front of you and to eat (and eat) was bittersweet to witness. Your heart was our secondary concern for the moment.
By the end of our journey in China, you were gaining a little bit of confidence with your dad, your brother and your cousin. We could see bits and pieces of your personality emerging. Your story wouldn't be complete without the inclusion of the Lowe family. What a tender mercy God placed in our path to develop a lifelong friendship with them. Annah Blu was brought into her family just moments before you and we laughed, talked, cried and worried about you both throughout our time there. Annah was your first new friend! Soon, it was time to head for home at last.
Time passed quickly at home. You were such an added joy to our home. It took some time for you to trust that we were there for good. And that you had entered a lively and noisy house full of brothers, a sister and a DOG!! You loved Ella from the start. No one could get enough of you. We had lots of appointments to address what your medical needs were going to be and by October you had your first procedure done so that the doctors could get a full picture of what anomalies were present and what they felt needed to be done. You were doing remarkably well with your heart (though still visibly cyanotic(blue)) with all things considered. We were given such grim information at first in regards to your heart. But we had faith that Heavenly Father's plan for you, whatever that may be, would be carried out. At times I felt so frightened, so afraid of what may come. By December, in counsel with your doctor, in became very apparent that we could wait no longer.
Your last night before surgery!
Despite the tubes and bandanges, the sight of your precious little PINK hand brought me to tears. I was filled with such gratitude and amazement at the wonder of you.
Your surgery was nothing short of a miracle. The nurses and doctors you were blessed to have caring for you, that your dad and I were priveleged to counsel with and lean on, were indeed a tender mercy for all of us. So much more was able to be accomplished than we could have ever hoped for. The power of the priesthood and the divine gift of prayer saw us all through those difficult days. Your recovery was not without its' terrifying times and moments of doubt (mostly on my very human part). But your sweet spirit persevered and blossomed.
You are a tenacious, joyful and loving little girl. You are slowly learning to talk and you all but run everywhere you go. You are eager to try new things and love to cuddle into mom and dad. You have added such a tender and sweet spirit to our home.
You have laughed, played, grown, loved, and exceeded all of our hopes and dreams. We are so proud to be able to help you find your own hopes and dreams and to be a part of the plan that God has for you. What an honor and gift this past year has been sweet Sarah! We, as your family, anxiously look forward to all the years that lie ahead. WE LOVE YOU!!!
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
Suddenly Sarah made us a family of Eight!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












16 comments:
This sweet recount of the past year brought tears. Thank you for the simple reminder that family is truly the most important thing in life. With the help of Heavenly Father, anything IS possible.
Love you! Give Brian a love from us.
Aunt Melissa, Uncle Rich & Luke
You captured your emotions so beautifully and I am grateful that you shared them...especially grateful that Sarah will be able to read this when she is older and know how much she was loved.
Beautiful, sweet, touching & eloquent post!! Your family's love shines right through every word!! What a beautiful treasure for Sarah to read in the future!
You are all so very blessed to have each other!
HUGS!!
Hi Anna,
Such a beautiful post, you had me in tears! My goodness, I can't believe it's already been a whole year. She's just too precious for words.
God bless,
Amy
Anna-
What a beautiful post. Brought me to tears!! One day she will treasure this.
Happy Day!
:)
Amie
www.heart-smiles.blogspot.com
Thanks for sharing this wonderful journey again. I remember reading it while you were there and then finding your blog where I can now see this sweetie growing with the love of her forever family.
*I just realized that I have never shared your story with my friend Leslie who will be leaving for China next week to get her daughter. (who also has severe heart problems) Her blog is
www.roomforatleastonemore.blogspot.com She could use all the prayers and encouragement you could offer!
You will probably never know just HOW MUCH this post has blessed and encouraged me. My friend Denise directed me to your blog b/c she said she knew I needed to read it today. GOD IS SO GREAT to use even blogs to speak to our hearts!!!
We leave in 8 days to go to China to meet our little girl Susannah. She is 3 and also has a complex heart condition that has not been repaired. She has been in the hospital this summer while we waited on all of our approvals and medically speaking, her being her does not make sense. But we KNOW WHO holds her in His grip and I just thank you for the reminder that He has a plan and has had it since time eternal!
I just cried when I read Sarah's story. It really is miraculous. I love all of your words; I felt as though I was there. And the pictures are incredible. I know from experience, that it is only when you look back on a really big event in your family, that it's true impact can be seen. Sarah's impact is clear. She is an angel!
I can't believe it has been a year. I don't comment often but I have been following your blog from the beginning. We prayed for your sweet Sarah while you were in China and during her recovery. I am so glad she has brought your family a year of love. Please pray for our friend Leslie and Susannah.
Happy family day! I feel so priveledged to have been there in China with you all last year. God truely was watching over us all. I can't beleive how big Sarah has got and it does my heart good to see her looking so healthy. You know while in China I spent many a nights praying for baby Sarah, she looked so frail, and my dear friend I never wanted to share how concerned for you all I was but I just prayed God would be with Sarah and that she would be healthy enough to get the surguery she needed once home. It makes my heart sing to see her so healthy now. God is so good!
Happy Forever Family Day, Sarah and family! We think of you all often. We will never forget the time we spent together in China. Lots of love to you and yours!
Incredible post....I have tears in my eyes......
Sarah is so sweet! I am so glad you brought her into the family. Time has flown by! I hope we get to see you all again very soon.
Oh - so AMAZING - what a journey!!! Sarah is so blessed to have you for a family - and you are so blessed to have her for a daughter!!!
Thank you for sharing this special and beautiful story.
Rebecca
Hey Anna! It is SO good to find you again! I HAVE met you in bloggy world before! I remember your BEAUTIFUL family!
This is such a perfect summary of your year...beautifully written. Thank you SO much for the email...I'm delighted to make a new "old" friend!
Blessings,
Laine
A beautiful post-I remember following your journey on My Adoption Website so well. She is a beauty.
Post a Comment