Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Cereal Anyone? Anyone?

I believe I have found the literal STEAL of the century today. Thanks to a tip from my girlfriend Carol last night, I headed to Albertson's at 5:45am this morning. They don't even open until 6am but I wanted to be sure to be there first thing to get my haul, my stash, my mother load, my STEAL!!!! What is it you ask that would drive this woman to resort to such lengths?

COLD CEREAL!! My family loves this stuff. I think my kids average 2 bowls for breakfast. My oldest son has been known to demolish almost an entire box for his meal. They love it to start the day, for a healthy interruption to the day, for dinner, for a snack. My husband loves it as a snack before bed. And, as you know, there are eight of us running around here and I like to have LOTS of food on hand. So today I purchased 175 boxes of some select Kellogg's cereal. We got Rice Krispies, Corn Flakes, Frosted Mini-Wheats, FruitLoops Smoothies, Peanut Butter Corn Pops, Raisin Bran Crunch and more. And they each cost me $00.41. FORTY-ONE CENTS EACH (and that includes tax!!!!) And that was all added to the war stash we have already in the food storage room in the basement. I tried to photograph the evidence but, the angle into the food storage room didn't really let me get an accurate visual but, you get the idea. Is it possible that I have gone a little cuckoo???



These are the cases stacked and ready to be taken down the basement stairs to be put away in a neat and orderly manner :-) At least until my kids find them.




So you can't really see that these boxes go two, sometimes three deep and stacked all sorts of funny ways to make them fit. The shelves also turn the corner.

10 comments:

Carol said...

That is hysterical that we both blogged about the same thing. I guess great minds think alike! :)

Mindy said...

what the heck? I am a fellow cold cereal lover myself and how could such a great deal on cereal slip by me unoticed...come to think of it I did feel a little rush of adrineline at about 5:45 that morning but I quickly shrugged it off and went back to sleep..it must have been my "cereal senses" tingleing. It would have almost been worth it to drive up to Boise from here to get some! Is the sale still going on? I stock up when its $1 once a year at Smiths but this is amazing!

Barbie said...

Ok...WHY didn't you and Carol clue me in!! I would loved a steal like that too!! We do love cereal here too but honestly we eat it mostly because it is fast. :-)

Is it too late for me???

Patricia said...

Double WOW!! One for the STEAL & one for the STASH!! Gotta love cold cereal...It really is the best anytime meal or snack! :)

Stefanie said...

Whoa. That is a LOT of cereal. What a deal!! You guys must smoke through the cereal, I'd be worried about expiration dates around here. We've got a bunch of Toaster Streudel/Pop Tart eatin' weenies around here!
Just curious... what's a war stash? :)

Chelley said...

hey I know where I am coming to eat!!!

Erin said...

We love cereal too, and my boys sometimes eat it in mixing bowls. I have suggested to them, that maybe they should just open the box and pour the milk directly inside, saving me the trouble of washing so many bowls! We won't even get started on how much milk they drink! But 175 boxes? I can't even fathom it! Your boys must think you hang the moon!

Desiree' said...

Wow, amazing. Wish I could find deals like that here. Also wish we had a food storage, I think I go to the grocery store twice a week. My kiddos love cold cereal and would eat it three tims a day if I let them.

Jill said...

I usually get up at 5:45 to make a seven coarse breafast for my kids. But I can see how some people would like to get a deal on cereal....HA HA!!! That really is amazing! You are the queen bee of food storage. I want to be like you if I ever grow up.

Sheri said...

Wow, 41 cents for a box of cereal. That's amazing! I'm trying to picture you wheeling this in a cart (or two or three) through the grocery store and seeing the look on the cashier's face. Your storage room is incredible.