Friday, March 21, 2008

Growing Up

Perhaps this is old hat to some of you. But these young kids entrusted to our care grow up WAY.TOO.FAST. I reflect often on those early days when I first became a mother and our little Eric entered our lives. I remember my mom and others saying to me..."treasure it and enjoy it while it lasts because it doesn't last long". I thought they were nuts. I couldn't seem to get him growing fast enough. I couldn't wait for first steps, first words, first school, first friends, first EVERYTHING. I wanted it to hurry up so I could see how it was all going to play out. What on earth was I thinking? I have found myself in tears several times the last few weeks. Mourning what I did not enjoy or could not enjoy in his earlier years. What an amazing young man he is despite his mother's shortcomings. Thirteen is a hard age. Middle school....who doesn't remember middle school???? Middle school is hard! On the cusp of puberty and trying to make sense of all that they see and hear around them. It's enough to keep me tied up in knots and anxious to the core. But, in the midst of it all, I pray. I pray that this young man will walk in light and truth. That he will make a positive difference to this world just by being in it. Oh how we love him!!! How proud we are of all of his accomplishments and hard work. Proud of his ability to keep trying...over and over again. I am sure that I am too hard on him sometimes. Maybe even most of the time. I pray that Heavenly Father shows His love to him too. What a privelege to be this young man's mother!

On a lighter note, Brian and I long ago decided that hair was going to be the least of our worries. We were going to focus on the heart of our kids not their hair. Little did I know how much that was going to drive me crazy!!!:-) Lest you misunderstand, Eric and Jon's big "difference" was they wanted to grow their hair out. And since I usually keep it cropped fairly close to their head, growing it out meant that they wanted 2 or 3 inch long hair. I have NEVER had that much hair on my boys' heads. But this they wanted and, as I was told, it is the style. So out it grew. Past the stage of the funny cow-licks sticking up and was looking pretty good. Still, I desperately wanted to cut it. I am a sucker for short styled hair. But I let them be. Particularly Eric. Jon's hair fell prey to a well placed bribe from his Aunt Deana. But, Eric held fast. I would jokingly tease him when we had down time that we had 'just enough' time to cut his hair. "No way" was always the response. We would laugh about sneaking into his room in the middle of the night and cutting it. Then one day after a shower after basketball he came to me and said "could you cut my hair right now????" Uh....let me think about it....bring it on!!!! We cut it right then and there. And it was his own decision making. That was the best part of it all.


This is it before, right after a shower. Still my handsome son!



After the hair cut...he doesn't like this picture. The hair is not "really" combed but seriously, I am lovin' the short hair. The picture is even cuter to me because he had just finished hiding a bunch of plastic eggs filled with candy for his little brothers and sisters for our family night activity. He was just as excited as they were.

10 comments:

Mom to my China Posse said...

Love Eric's hair short! I know what you mean about the struggles of them growing up. Have you seen my 16 year olds hair? lol.. He has been driving now 1 month and my hair is graying by the day, oh how I wish he was a baby again driving that little tike car in the backyard.

Kathy

Patricia said...

Loved this post, Anna! And short or long, Eric is such a handsome boy!

I know EXACTLY what you mean about these little ones growing up too fast...I wrote a similar post about it awhile ago...it kills me that time is passing by right before my eyes everyday, but everyday brings new wonder & joy & I am learning to appreciate EVERY second of it...the good, the bad & the "crankies"! ;)

Rebecca Lily said...

They DO grow up too fast. My oldest is about to turn 10 and I am already feeling boo-hooey about not appreciating her "littleness" enough. I think every parent must feel that way!

I like the new haircut. What a good-looking bunch you all are. :)

Rebecca

PS I can't believe you got 175 boxes of cereal. You are a crazy woman. :)

Jill said...

It funny, you try to talk your kids into cutting their hair, I try to talk them into letting it grow! Eric looks great with his new do. He is such a sweet boy. I'm proud to be his aunt. See you tomorrow!!!

Nicole said...

LOVE the short hair! A couple of weeks ago I posted a picture of our Jake when his hair was longer! It drove me CRAZY!!! I'm wondering how well I will handle it when JAKE wants to grow it out!!! OH MY!!!
:-)
-Nicole

Barbie said...

They DO grow up to fast. Brandon will be 20 on Wednesday. That makes me feel sooooo old!! Eric is a wonderful young man with short or long hair. In our family though his hair was still quite short in the first picture. lol!!

Sheri said...

I can so totally relate to this post. Our kids do grow up way too fast! Eric sounds like a wonderful son and that he's growing up to be a fine young man. He looks very handsome with "long" or short hair.

Carol said...

Love you Eric!!!

Erin said...

Remember Gilda Radner from Saturday Night Live? Well... I have a son who, for a time, looked JUST LIKE HER! He likes his hair very short now, and to tell you the truth, I kind of miss his "hipppie" days! People always tell you, "It's just hair"... but, really, it's so much more! Anyway, your boy sure is a looker , and honestly? He'll be a man before you know it!

Ramona said...

Yes, they are growing up so fast. Carl (the 21 month old) is now talking and walking like a boy and it is killing me! No more babies in the house! But I only got to have babies for 2 years! Noooo..... :-)

Ha-Ha-ha, I leave Carl's hair pretty long, he's probably going to keep it buzzed when older just to annoy me! :-)